View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Glide-Lock Vises

Just finished this larger version of the glide lock vise. This vise is shorter and stockier than the earlier, smaller glide lock. The sphere of the ball is large so that the center of the sphere is located at the top of the jaws. This means when you tilt the vise the image you are looking at through the scope (or otherwise) stays put and doesn't move off to the side or change in depth. Tim Wells told me this concept was discussed on the knifenetwork forum several years ago and later on Sam's site. Noud Peters made a nice one and Jim Riser also showed a photo of an old antique vise he acquired that has a large bottom sphere. Anyway, I wanted to try the concept and try making one.

What I tried to do with this prototype is fit the patented cam vise lock-mechanisms into the lower half of the sphere so that the tilt and linear positioning top portion can be locked in place and to keep the center of the sphere located at the top of the jaws. The overall OD is 8" and it is 7.5" high. The whole top turning portion including the jaws and nuts are made from prehardened 4140. The jaw inserts are D2. The last part I made was the base plate. Looking at the picture now, I think the base needs to be a little wider. It is 8" dia but I think it may look better at 9" or even 10".

Weight of this one is 58 lbs (the earlier smaller stainless design weight is 37 lbs.) I shot the vises together for comparison.

The original glide-lock vise has been slow going to production. I have an idea for another feature for yet another vise that I will start on next. I don't know if the idea will work, but I will go through the motions. It should be cool if it can work.

I apoligize but there are still no vises for sale. I'm back in the design stages. I don't want to sell a vise and then the next month think of a better design.

Thank you Roland for your help with the vises!

Steve

EngravingArtist.com